a place to call home

In the ever-continuing spirit of documenting the good with bad pictures:



After almost three long months of living out of boxes, we finally have a real, permanent, all-ours, ready to move in to home.

Since starting to pack at the beginning of May, we've been living simply. When I say simply, I mean One-Pot-One-Pan-Three-Forks-and-Some-Ziploc-Baggies simply. An odd number of forks was poor planning, as there is an even number of us, but you get the idea. We wanted to pack it all up, get it down here, and leave it packed up until we got into our real place so the work would be kept to a minimum. You guys know how I don't like to work. The real place has been in the process of being built, as it's the residence hall that I was hired for, so they've put us up in a student apartment until it was ready. The apartment's been nice [lots of light, a dishwasher, and a front patio kind of nice], but let's be real. I'm ready to settle.

The new building is ready enough for occupancy, so says the great state of Texas. We move our stuff over on Thursday with the help of the maintenance team and a free day I get off of work [thank you, bargaining skills] and unpacking will begin PRONTO. That brand new apartment will be turned into our home in the blink of an eye. Really all it takes is a sweaty sports bra left on a doorknob [me] and some nerdy magazines on the back of the toilet [Ben], but still. Those boxes are getting emptied and thrown out of the windows. The smell of cardboard will no longer invade my nostrils. 

Thanks to the shitty job our moving company did, we have a big claims check coming our way, so I foresee many IKEA and Target trips in our future. I also see many DIY and decorating posts in this blog's future because I need someone to brag to. Thanks for forever being my audience.

3 comments:

Megan | Freckled Italian said...

I hate living out of boxes, but sort of love having four dishes only. We left a box with most of our kitchen stuff in it back in Roanoke (dammit)so I went to Goodwill and spent four whole dollars on plates to get us through the return of that box and then registering at Crate and Barrel for our wedding!

choosing{life} said...

Yay apartment! Can't wait to see pictures, as I'm certain you'll make it adorable. And I am still sorry that your moving company sucked, but happy Ikea trips! Was anything damaged that you're really sad about?

calista said...

I can't wait to see pictures - I know you'll make it home in no time!