roasted tomato & garlic soup

I know that yesterday I said I was going to share my smoothie recipe today, but I changed my mind. I'm a woman, what can ya do? tomatoes are still in season, but they won't be for long, so I decided to share the recipe that Roasted Tomato and Garlic soup I mentioned yesterday. make it while you can!



this soup is delicious, folks. I made it back in August because I had an abundance of tomatoes from the market, but I froze it and have been breaking it out in this cooler weather. Rachael instagrammed it, after finding it in Gourmet magazine [August 2009 issue], and I was all over that recipe. it takes a while to make, but it is so so worth it. perfect for a rainy fall day.


what you need:
- 4 lb tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 cloves of garlic, left unpeeled
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste


what you do with it:

1) preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2) arrange tomatoes in a large baking dish, cut side up. add garlic cloves to the pan, drizzle the whole shebang with olive oil , and salt and pepper to taste.

3) roast tomatoes and garlic  for 1 hour, then let them cool in the pan. remove the garlic cloves, peel them, then toss them back in.

4) in a large stock pot, melt the butter and then cook onion, oregano, and sugar in it, over medium-low heat, stirring frequently until the onion is softened [when Stephanie made this, she pointed out that you should be careful to not let the onions carmelize, so it should only take about 5-7 minutes].

5) add the tomato, garlic & stock mixture to the pot, juices and all. cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

6) let the soup cool for a bit, then puree in batches in the blender. force it through a sieve into a clean pot [news flash: if you don't have a sieve, it's not the end of the world. I tried forcing my soup through our bacon splatter guard and that didn't work, so I have kinda chunky soup. still delicious].

7) if you're planning on eating the soup right away, add the heavy cream, salt & pepper, and simmer again for 2 or 3 minutes. if you're planning to freeze it, wait to do this step until you're ready to heat it up to eat it.

8) pour that soup into some pretty bowls, get a good loaf of bread to dip in it, and enjoy!


9) get your husband to do the dishes.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh wow. That sounds delicious. I'll have to make it soon.. perfect fall food!

Sarah :: Plucky in Love said...

mmMMMmmmm

Alexis said...

Yum! I've been in such a soup mood these days, this one is going on the list!

Sapir @ The Sapphire Queen said...

This looks so great! Tomato soup is something I can't get enough of, especially during the cooler months! Thanks for sharing!
Sapir
thesapphirequeen.blogspot.com

Eliza :: Case Study said...

Haha! I can definitely agree with you on #9 ;) This sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :) xoxo, eliza

The Millers said...

this looks so delicious!! i am excited to try it!! I am a new follower, excited to read more! come follow along http://sjdmiller.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing! I just thought of one little problem though. Corey doesn't like tomatoes. So I'll just have eat it all by myself when I make it. Oh well. :)

henning love said...

i am not a fan of tomato soup but maybe with the addition of garlic in it it is something i would be willing to try tomato soup again. is the soup on the thick side? also number 9 is what my husband does each night